Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Porridge - too hot, too cold, just right!

I enjoy a bowl of porridge on a winters morning and was surprised when I read in yesterdays Epicure that porridge is now a fashionable staple at cafes everywhere (Costigan, 2010)!!
It appears that it is very black and white with porridge - you love it or hate it?

It was a great article and shows us just how porridge has evolved from a simple mix of oats,water and salt to a gastronomic delight made with full-cream milk, honey, treacle or brown sugar, and topped with fruits, fresh banana and dusted with cinnamon.

I like my porridge with brown sugar and banana - How do you like yours served?

My little fact I learnt from the day came from the article.
I have a very old, worn smooth stirring stick that came from my grandma.
Apparently it is called a "spurtle" and is used for making porridge.
We must be a family of porridge lovers!

Costigan, J. (2010, June 8). Like it or lump it. The Age Epicure, p.17.

1 comment:

  1. Davida, I love porridge too.
    Honey on mine thanks.
    I have the banana and sugar on my vita brits.
    I think that my love for porridge comes from my Dad who used to make it in the pot on the stove for me when I had to head off to school early. So it probably is a family thing to be handed down to the next generation.

    ReplyDelete