Friday, June 4, 2010

Happy Borrowers

I spent 4 hours on the circulation desk today.
Reservations, shelving, computer problems, returning, issuing....
There is nothing quite like the satisfaction you feel, and the joy of the borrower when you are able to lay your hands on that "brand new" copy of "To Kill a Mockingbird" they had to have for an assignment this weekend.

I have been reading the next book I borrowed from the SMB library :
The Customer-Focused Library : Re-inventing the Public Library from the Outside-In
It is a great read and I really took note today of what our customers/borrowers/readers/clients/members/guests were using & doing in our library.
What do we all call the people who enter our library?
I really enjoyed the chapter on merchandising - how we display and also make our services more appealing to a broader segment of the community.

Just started on the info tech chapter and the library web site.
Made me really think when I read this little quote:
"The Internet is the ultimate customer-empowering experience - one click and you are out of there! One click!"

I'm off to the movies to support the kinder - those materialistic girls from New York!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Study Buddy,
    Isn't that strange, I got my copy of inCite earlier this week (volume 31 Issue 6 June 2010)and in it was a letter to the Editor (page 6).
    In it Warwick Dunstan was saying that customer is the wrong way to describe library patrons.
    And I think that he is right!
    I would put the link in to the magazine but I dont know how to do it

    ReplyDelete