RSS or really simple syndication, a method of delivering regularly updated information over the web.
I didn't even know what RSS stood for when I started investigating and I have discovered there are some great newsfeeds out there.
The important part of subscribing to RSS feeds is choosing the ones that are the most beneficial for you or your organization as like anything it is finding the time to read them!
The first thing you have to do is set yourself up with a feed reader. This feed reader allows you to read all your favourite content in one place rather than moving around between lots of different websites. The feed reader I used was Bloglines but you could use Google Reader.
I subscribed to feeds like: ABC News, ABC Books New Release, iTunes Top 25 songs, The Age news headlines and National Geographic News: Animals & Nature.
Today's Sunday Life magazine with The Age has an article on the feast of ways for food lovers to indulge their passion online, so I though I had better add a recommended blog with a feed. I am going to follow Clotilde Dusoulier's Chocolate and Zucchini.
I think some RSS feeds could be great on the public internet computers at the library as a quick way for people to check news, weather, this weeks best sellers, AFL information etc. without having to find each individual website.
Best sellers, new releases could also be great on the circulation pc's for those questions you are always being asked?
The library could use an RSS feed to send out regular information about changes to storytime/bookclub sessions/opening & closing times/internet pc's being unavailable. They could also use it as a quick way to let people know about activities at short notice or just advertise something new happening..
I think there is many ways RSS feeds can be used positively in a library setting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment